Travelling South . . . !

one of my groups of keen students trying some new techniques

Well here we are, another week on and I am sitting in my room in the Travelodge after a hearty breakfast about to pack up the car and start the long drive home back to Brighton. I have had a great if very busy and tiring time in Glasgow. The show was very busy and it was great to catch up with friends and customers up here. 

Wendy and Rob Dolan were also with the show and we went out on the town on Friday night. We went to Ashton Lane in Glasgow - first of all we saw The Kings Speech at The Grosvenor Cinema, this is a refurbished Victorian cinema furnished with large leather seats with places to hold your drinks and food. You can buy a bottle of wine to take in with and a plate of Italian meats and olives if you fancy, or fresh popcorn or . . . .  you get the idea. After the film we manged to stagger 3 doors along to The Ubiquitous Chip, an amazing restaurant serving traditional Scottish fayre with a very modern twist. We ate upstairs in the 'cheap seats' and had a fabulous meal. If you are ever in Glasgow you really must dine there, it is superb.

My workshops were full apart from 2 so I had my work cut out for me (OOHH!! what a pun!).
I had made up 96 packs in advance and was so glad I did, I would never have had time to make them up during the show. The packs contained the 7 colours of Vilene Spunbond CS500, an A5 piece of plain Bondaweb and an A5 piece of painted Bondaweb. 

7 colours of Vilene Spunbond CS500
We worked with soldering irons and irons to create some interesting layered effects. It was a bit of a nightmare trying to check everyone was keeping up and not dragging the flexes of the soldering irons over the sole plate of the irons, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and were pleased with the results.

As you can see I use Margaret Beal's tried and tested method of standing the soldering irons in up-turned terracotta flower pots.



This sample was created by a young man called Kyle, he created some amazing work in a very short time. You can see from this sample how well the colours in the CS500 overlay and give some beautiful transluscent effects.

I must now dash off - I will be home for 3 days then I am driving up to East Yorkshire to deliver a lecture and workshop over the weekend - I'm really looking forward to it. E.Y.E.S seem to be a highly organised and keen group - we are going to have a FAB time!                       

X

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016